SLSA 2020 and 2021: Call for expressions of interest
The SLSA Executive is seeking expressions of interest from universities wishing to host our annual conferences in 2020 and 2021. The conference runs for three days (lunchtime day 1–lunchtime day 3) and usually takes place just before the Easter break each year, although alternative dates in early–mid April will be considered.
The criteria we consider are as follows:
- a strong local team of organisers, supported by their head of department;
- a venue capable of catering for approximately 400 delegates;
- overnight accommodation for about 300 people;
- a range of types of accommodation close to the conference venue, including low-cost accommodation suitable for postgraduate students;
- an accessible location;
- approximately 20 good quality seminar rooms within walking distance of each other;
- a lecture theatre for plenary sessions and the AGM;
- a computer lab capable of functioning as an internet cafe;
- a cloakroom for storing luggage;
- reliable wifi in all venues;
- a central area suitable for registration, publishers' stands, poster displays, Twitter wall and coffee/tea and lunches;
- plans for two evening events, including a conference dinner;
- adequate administrative and finance support;
- ability to provide a conference website (ideally with direct editorial control);
- capacity to promote the conference through local and wider networks;
- competitive pricing of delegate registration packages.
In recent years local teams have often been supported by a university conference office or department. The SLSA publishers' liaison officer will also provide assistance in liaising with publishers and organising sponsorship packages. Since the annual conference is one of the SLSA's key sources of income, a projected profit of at least £17,000 is desirable.