Every year the SLSA organises a FREE postgraduate conference in January. This event is open to members and non-members alike.
The 2018 Postgraduate Conference will take place at Queen's University Belfast from 4–5 January 2018. Further details will be published when available during autumn 2017.
The conference is aimed at those starting out in their careers who may need guidance on issues such as: completing their postgraduate research; getting their work published; finding their first academic job; and establishing links with like-minded scholars. Students often find that they are the only socio-legally minded individuals in their law school and it is hoped that these events reduce the resulting feelings of intellectual isolation.
Feedback from previous conferences includes:
- 'Excellent event. Very informative and well organised.'
- 'A very helpful and enjoyable conference.'
- 'I have thoroughly enjoyed this conference, it has been an excellent opportunity to network with other students and take part in some really interesting discussions. It has been excellently organised. Many thanks for this opportunity to attend.'
- 'We were surprised at the excellent quality of this conference given that it was a free event. I would definitely recommend it to others in the future.'
- 'Great conference! Lots of useful information I will put to good use. Thank you!'
- 'It was really great to have basic inside knowledge imparted which I have always felt too foolish to ask my superviser. A great event, thanks so much!'
The conferences are organised by current and former members of the SLSA Executive Committee who also contribute their time to running sessions and workshops. The event is free and accommodation and subsistence are also included. Students only have to find their travel expenses. The event is open to members and non-members alike in order to encourage postgraduates unsure of their interest in socio-legal studies to test the water.
Past postgraduate conferences
SLSA PGR rep, Jess Mant, wrote a short report of the 2017 for the spring issue of the newsletter along with other postgraduate news: see SLN 81:6.